|Wind (Kph) : 13|
|Humidity (%) : 69|
|Wind Directions : SE|
|Wind Direction (Degrees) : 140|
|Visibility (Km) : 10|
|Pressure (In) : 1017|
|Cloud Cover (%) : 75|
Population: 1246 (ABS Census Data 2011)
GPS Coordinates: 26.78oS; 151.11oE
Jandowae was first proclaimed by European settlement in 1862 and referred to as 'Jindowie', an Aboriginal word meaning 'waterhole'. In the early 1870s, a man by the name of John Dowaie leased a holding paddock here and established a store. Drovers and teamsters would lease the paddock to rest their stock and Jindowie became known as 'John Dowaie Camp' amongst travellers. When the railway branch line extended to the settlement in 1914, it was renamed 'Jandowae' to avoid confusion with nearby Jondaryan. The railway brought with it new commercial and economic opportunities and our township sprang to life.
Now with just over 1200 residents, we have fought hard against rural population decline. In 2001, the former Wambo Shire Council ran a $1 block promotion to encourage new residents and industry. Thirty-eight parcels of residential and industrial land were on offer and promotion of our little town stretched across Australia and overseas. Over 1000 applications were received and the lucky recipients of the blocks were drawn from a ballot. As a result of the $1 block promotion, we have become a budding little township with new industry including a manufacturer of cattle ear tag readers who relocated from Brisbane.
Our streetscape is dominated by three classic Queensland pubs, the 'Top Pub', the 'Middle Pub' and the 'Bottom Pub' (with one painted pink), and many of the shop facades are from the 1950s. The historic Athlone Cottage (circa. 1890), located across from Lions Park, is open to the public and provides a serene backdrop for a picnic lunch or quiet contemplation of our heritage. Originally a slab hut with an ant-bed floor, the cottage was relocated from a property near the Jandowae Dam to its current location in 2001 and is now an iconic piece of pioneering memorabilia.
We are also home to the northern end of the Dingo Barrier Fence - the longest fence in the world. To mark the start of the Dingo Barrier Fence, a dingo sculpture has been erected in the centre of town and signposts along the road allow you to see it for yourself. The sculpture is enclosed by a replica of the original fence as it was in 1948. The Dingo Barrier Fence protects 26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country in south-east Queensland from the menace of dingoes and wild dogs and is patrolled weekly by maintenance teams.
A good time to visit is market day, which is held on the fourth Sunday of every month. The Jandowae Timbertown Festival is held in June every second year and pays tribute to the impact of the timber industry on the town's early development.