Miles and District Historic Sites Miles and District Historic Sites

 

Miles War Memorial - Wall of Remembrance

A sandstone cairn on a stone plinth base with a curved wall of remembrance behind it. Commemorating World War II.

Location: ANZAC Park, Murilla Street, Miles

Pitt's Flat Footbridge

The site of the very first traffic bridge to be constructed over the Dogwood Creek in 1884. The original bridge was replaced by the current RJ Simmonds Bridge.

Location: Dogwood Creek Walking Track, Miles

Original Town Cemetery

This small cemetery dates back to the 1800s and is the earliest identifiable cemetery in Miles.

Location: Dogwood Creek Walking Track, Miles

Old Town Cemetery

Established c. 1910 after the first cemetery on the banks of Dogwood Creek was continually flooded, it only lasted about 10 years as the ground was stony and hard to dig. The private cemetery on the left houses the graves of the Blackley family. The distinctive horse monument marks the grave of horse breeder Thomas Peter Blackley who died in 1957.

Location: Corner of Hookswood and Racecourse Roads, Miles

Condamine "Bullfrog" Bell

A replica of the bullock bell originally fashioned out of cross-cut or pit saw blades by Samuel Jones in 1868.

Location: Condamine Bell Park, Leichhardt Highway, Condamine

Dulacca War Memorial (Digger)

Listing 32 local servicemen from World War I; ten of whom were killed in action and two have M.M after their names, signifying they won Military Medals for bravery. 

Location: Roy Henderson Park, Warrego Highway Dulacca

Condamine Flood Boat

This original flood boat was used to ferry mail and supplies across the swollen river during times of flood.  The memorial beside the boat was erected in memory of those who lost their lives in the Condamine River.

Location: Progress Park, Leichhardt Highway, Condamine

Condamine Flood Marker

Located in Progress Park alongside the historic flood boat, the flood maker captures flood levels, historic images and information to depict the stories and contributions of the Condamine community before and after flood disaster events since 1942.

Location: Progress Park, Leichhardt Highway, Condamine

Paddy's Creek Historical Site

This site marks the graves of a number of fettlers and their families who were engaged in building the railway line westward of Miles.  The cause of death for many of them is reminiscent of symptoms associated with the typhoid outbreak in the area at the time.

Location: Warrego Highway (8km west of Miles)

Drillham Creek Historical Site

This monument commemorates four children of a railway lengthsman and his wife, who accidentally drowned in the Railway Weir in 1893.


Location: Drillham Rest Area, Drillham Creek, Drillham