Towns Surrounding Miles Towns Surrounding Miles

Drillham

Population: 70 (approx.)
Elevation:  325m
GPS Coordinates:  26.64oS; 149.98oE

Twenty kilometres west of Miles and once a thriving settlement, Drillham was closely linked to the railway. A railway weir on the creek provided water for steam locomotives and reminders of these times can still be seen by the creek and roadside. Grain crops, livestock farms and a strong visible history of railway activity give the community of Drillham its rural character. Today, the area is renowned for its quality grain crops including sorghum and wheat, and boasts some of the finest cattle studs in Queensland.

 

Dulacca

Population: 120 (approx.)
Elevation:  317m
GPS Coordinates:  26.64oS; 149.75oE

A further 22 kilometres west along the Warrego, Dulacca was established in 1879 with the coming of the railway. The town's name originates from a pastoral run called ‘Doolackah' (an Aboriginal word for ‘emu tracks'), later known as ‘Dulacca Station' and owned by the honourable William Miles. Cattle and grain farming remain the town's key industries today. Dulacca was also the site of the first push to eradicate the prickly pear, an environmental scourge of the region's farming land that, at one stage, covered an area of fifty million acres throughout the state. The cactoblastis moth, which eventually controlled the epidemic, is known as the most successful biological control in Australian history. A history of the town and its strong community contribution to the war can be found in Roy Henderson Park. The Dulacca Hotel, known as the ‘Waterhole on the Hill', dates from 1908 and still operates today.   

 

Condamine

Population: 135 (approx.)
Elevation:  287m
GPS Coordinates:  26.92oS; 150.14oE

Condamine is a strong rural community with rich soils, superior grain production and is home to many large feedlots. Located 33 kilometres south of Miles on the banks of the meandering Condamine River, Condamine is home to the famous Condamine or ‘Bullfrog' Bell, which was first fashioned by local blacksmith Samuel William Jones in 1868. The bell was tied around the necks of working bullocks to ensure stockmen could locate them when left to roam or graze. A large replica of the Condamine bell, with the history of the township inscribed onto its side, is located in the Condamine Bell Park. 

Condamine is also well known in our region for its timber-clad pub which serves great country meals and becomes a hive of activity on weekend evenings - a great place to meet a local and chat about the best spots for fishing along the Condamine River. Just across the road from here is Progress Park where you will find our historic Condamine Flood Boat, a memorial to those who have lost their lives in the swollen Condamine River, and our newly acquired flood marker artworks representing the floods of 2011.