Wandoan and District Historic Sites Wandoan and District Historic Sites

 

Juandah Historical Site

The original site of the Juandah Head-Station, the heart of a settlement which later became known as Wandoan. Juandah Station was established in the late 1840s and reportedly employed up to 80 stockmen in its prime to run up to 50,000 head of cattle.

Location: Windeyer Road, Wandoan

Wandoan Heritage Stone

A huge piece of local sandstone placed in the courtyard of our Community Cultural Centre with the history of the district depicted on its face. The ceramic figures were crafted by local artists using local ochre to colour their clay.

Location: Community Cultural Centre, Henderson Road, Wandoan

Mick the Dog (Sculpture)

A sculpture and mosaic that captures the story of a loyal cattle dog who rescued his master, Sid McCorry, on Juandah Station at the turn of the 20th century.

Location: O'Sullivan Park, Zupp Road, Wandoan

Wandoan War Memorial

A black marble cairn in front of a white brick wall which hosts seven plaques, each honouring a battle in which Australia has been involved.

Location: Memorial Park, Henderson Road, Wandoan

Wandoan Stone War Memorial

A large stone memorial in recognition of the devotion of all ex-servicemen and ex-servicewomen of the Wandoan District to their country in all campaigns in which Australia was involved.

Location: Lions Park, Royd Street, Wandoan

Juandah Cemetery Reserve

Just south of the Juandah Stock Yards, these graves date back to our early pioneers. To date, local research has revealed four grave sites in this location.

Location: Windeyer Road, Wandoan

Arnold Street Cemetery Reserve

Contains the graves of some of our earlier pioneers including three marked graves and three unmarked. Those that are marked date back to the early 1900s: Mr John Walsh, died in 1920; a three-month old infant named James, the son of Aboriginal Stockman, John Nipps, from Juandah Station; and Mr August Nelson, a railway worker who was struck by lightning in August 1913. Of the unmarked graves, local research suggests that one of these belongs to an adult while the other two belong to infants.

Location: Hamlyn Street, Wandoan