History suggests that the Moonie River was made known by early pioneers and squatters from NSW settlements who followed streams discovered by explorers Allan Cunningham and Sir Thomas Mitchell, in their search for pastoral lands. A perennial river within the Murray-Darling Basin, the Moonie River currently serves as the main water source for irrigation of approximately 6,200 hectares of agricultural land within south-western Queensland. Excellent fishing spots around Flinton are known to produce jewfish, golden perch (yellow belly) and silver perch.
Part of the Murray-Darling Basin, the Condamine River was named by Allan Cunningham (an English botanist and explorer) in 1827 in honour of T. De La Condamine, aide-de-camp to the then Governor of NSW, Ralph Darling. The catchment area of the Condamine River covers 13,292km2 with water used for irrigation and town water supplies. The river and its catchment area were involved in the 2010-2011 Queensland Floods and reached a record peak of 15.25m at the town of Condamine. Flooding of the Condamine River has claimed many lives in the past and the iron flood boat found in Progress Park in Condamine is a memorial to the victims of the 1927 floods.
A tributary of the Condamine River, Dogwood Creek was named by explorer Ludwig Leichhardt in October 1844, after the prolific Dogwood shrub (Jacksonia scoparia) that grew in the area. The Dogwood now provides water supply to the town of Miles and is a tranquil haven for birds and native wildlife. Great fishing spots can be found along its banks and the Dogwood Creek Walking Track in Miles provides the perfect vista for absorbing the creek's beauty.
On 1 October 1844, Ludwig Leichhardt set off from Jimbour Station on his Port Essington expedition. Nine days later he crossed "...a fine looking stream". The following day he moved on, but two men from his party had gone missing. Charley Fisher, Leichhardt's Aboriginal tracker, and a party of men went searching for them. They rode over 70 miles on horseback before they found the men two days later. Leichhardt wrote in his journal, "...they would certainly have perished had Charley not found them", and named the "fine looking stream" in Charley's honour. Charley's Creek is now a great fishing spot for locals and visitors with concrete pathways along its banks and playground areas for the kids. It can be viewed as you cross it along the Warrego Highway through Chinchilla.
Leichhardt and his team first camped at Rocky Creek in October 1844 and years later the creek would play an integral role in the decision to construct the railway line that prompted the formation of Chinchilla. The short crossings required over Charley's Creek and Rocky Creek made the Chinchilla area favourable for the western line and we still cross both of these creeks today when travelling the Warrego Highway.
This was the only crossing point on the Condamine River for people living south of the river prior to the construction of the Banana Bridge in the early 1920s. The water level was much lower at that time as the Chinchilla Weir had not yet been built. Today, Archers Crossing is a free camp ground south of Chinchilla on the banks of the Condamine with a formed boat ramp, some established footpaths and picnic facilities.
A tributary of the Condamine River, a humble crossing over the Myall Creek in the 1800s prompted the formation of a settlement which would later become the town of Dalby. Today, the humble crossing is a bridge and the Myall Creek winds its way through the centre of our expanding town. The established gums and mature bottle trees that line its banks provide a relaxing backdrop for our Myall Creek Walkway and the grassy expanses beside the water are the perfect location for a picnic lunch.
Brigalow Creek is 74km long and flows into northern NSW where it merges with Boondoon Creek. At Meandarra, Brigalow Creek provides a beautiful camping spot among the trees and picturesque displays of native waterlilies (Nymphaea gigantean) in the summer months. Fishing at Brigalow Creek is known to yield delicious golden perch and jewfish.
Originally known as 'Delirium Creek' due to the outbreak of Typhoid Fever in the Drillham camp during railway construction in 1878, Drillham Creek provided water for steam locomotives in the late 1800s. Flowing into the Dogwood Creek, Drillham Creek is known to reward fishing fanatics with yellow-belly and jewfish. On the banks of the creek is a rest stop with picnic and toilet facilities.
An offshoot of the Dawson River, Juandah Creek was the primary water source for the first European settlement at Juandah Station in the mid-1800s. Present day, the creek is better known for its shady fishing spots which are easily accessed at many points along the Leichhardt Highway. The creek runs parallel to the Leichhardt Highway from Giligulgul to Taroom, stretching 157km and covering 27 hectares when full.